Translate

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Out of the Mouth of Babes

This Christmas, I had a special moment with my son, and it's left me thinking since.    

We decided to cuddle and watch a movie together in my mom's bedroom, since festivities were still going on in the living room, and it was getting late. As Lucas came into the cuddle circle, looked at his sister and I, he said with crazy joy 'mommy, we all together! WE a puzzle, and we all together!'

Such a simple observation, and yet so profound. Could it be, as a 3 year old child, he is more in tune to our connectedness? That he sees us as parts that connect to make a bigger picture? Maybe. Or, maybe he just really likes puzzles.

Whether you call it energy, or spirituality, the basic building blocks of our matter is connected in a very real way, even defying laws of nature (check out some atomic science). Many of us claim to feel a strong connection to loved ones during sickness, struggle, death, and even times of great joy.  Look at the mysterious connections between twins, or the phenomenon that occurs with some men who have 'sympathy pregnancies' when wives are pregnant, even being known to cause male lactation!   Women have been known to 'sync' their menstrual timing with other women whom they spend large quantities of time with.  Maybe it can be credited to hormones, or the power of pheromones, but regardless, I sense there is a link that goes beyond the limitations of brain psychology, or intellectual understanding. 


With this in mind, perhaps we really are all brothers and sisters.  Maybe, together, we complete a bigger picture.     And, perhaps, this 'oneness' with each other, has far more implications than what we can wrap our brains around.  

Do we have a responsibility towards each other?   To our neighbors, our children, our facebook friends, or to the hungry babies in Africa?  I think so.  I think it matters how my life, my choices, and my behavior impacts others.  




No comments: