Translate

Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Unraveling of Love


"When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man(woman), I did away with childish things."   
1 Corinthians 13:11



How is love viewed as a child?  When I reflect upon my own childhood, as well as observe my little ones, it becomes apparent to me that love is seen differently through their small eyes and sweet hearts.  In fact, it is experienced, seen, and given uniquely.  As children we see the concept of love as a place (I'm in love), or an expression of affection (I love my puppy!).  It is a thing of fairy tales.   An entity of affection and care.  An aura.  A mystical endeavor.   As a child, love is a noun.

 But as we mature, love starts to unravel.   It becomes more complicated, more cumbersome.  Love starts evolving.  Slowly, and sometime painfully, we learn that love is a minute by minute choice.  Love is action.


It is the deciding to be present, when we want to be absent
It is the accepting, when we would rather shut out
It is in the giving, when we would rather keep
It's contentment, when we want to expect
It is in the grace, when we want to condemn

Love is in...

Moments of mercy

Buried axes

Mended bridges

Tested wills






It is in the you, instead of the me.



Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.  1 John 3:18 


No comments: