Translate

Friday, February 1, 2013

Playtime: Lessons found in story


 How often do we just sit and play with our kids?  Not just supervise, but actually stop what we are doing, invest our full attention span, and play?  I'm guessing we all could do it more.  (I know I can.)

This morning during bath time with my kiddos (Lucas age 3, Mallory age 4) we had full-on, soap opera drama.  Ariel was marrying Spider-man, even though Rapunzel was jealous and hurt, monster truck was too rough and made Rapunzel cry, and Pony was just learning how to swim.  You know what was the best part of the whole theatrical creation?  The opportunity for lessons.  With some gentle guidance I managed to get them to practice conflict resolution (Rapunzel is now handling the wedding well, friendships intact), demonstrate compassion and forgiveness (Monster truck apology), and Pony learned with some practice and patience, she would soon be diving in deep waters.   Perhaps they were custom made lessons, just for my children.  Sibling rivalry has been pretty intense lately.

You might wonder why I chose to write about this on a blog I designate for my awakenings.  To put it simply, I believe that my role as a mother is a sacred responsibility.  I help form, shape, and guide their moral beliefs in life; an intimidating task, yet what an awesome privilege!  There is no other role I cherish more.

Proverbs 22:6  
says 'Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.'      I am trusting that my lessons, particularly from my own example, of  things like love, compassion, forgiveness, patience, and all the jewels of our good humanity, will be enough to keep them on a path of wholeness.  That it will win over all the competing influences in life, and battles forged in the soul.  

I pray for their hearts to stay tender.
I pray that I honor my sacred responsibility as a mother. 

I pray for all the mothers and fathers in this world, specifically that they would embrace the spiritual leadership role in their children's lives.  Their future is counting on it.  




No comments: