Translate

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Warming Up From the Inside-Out

I don't know about you, but I have been really cold this Winter.  My toes have been ice cubes since Halloween (no joke).  You would think, being a New Yorker all my life, I would be used to it.  Nope.  In fact it might be getting worse.  Most days I'm a sight for sore eyes:  heavy wool socks, indoor scarf, sweater, and a lap blanket.   I have difficulties getting warm and staying warm.  

Can you guess a part of my problem?  Yep, I'm trying to warm myself up from the outside-in when I should be getting warm from the inside-out.

How so?  Well, like a well-oiled machine, if we put the right ingredients in, and fire it up, heat is produced.  Actually, if we are alive our engine is already fired up and we just need to adjust the thermostat!   How does that look in real time?  Well, when I push myself to exert extra energy, whether hiking outside, dancing with the kids, or fast-paced housework, my heat-making engine kicks in.  It's just how metabolism works.  I get warm, and I stay warm.  Well, for a few hours.  

Isn't that true about life as well?  When we look for external 'stuff' to make us happy, whether it's careers, relationships, goals, events, money, popularity, etc it's like we are trying to warm up from the outside-in.  The problem is that heat is not sustaining.  Happiness achieved from external stimuli is often fleeting.   It's difficult to get there and stay there.  So, do we just keep chasing the next thing, and the next thing, and next thing?  (silly Wabbit)   We just weren't made to work that way.  Sure, all those things can be a cause of happiness but true, sustaining-joyful-energy, needs to come from the inside-out.

What's that look like?

I think the secret can be seen in children.   Specifically, how they easily see the world with awe and wonder.  I think the better secret is we are ALL still children, if we choose to be.  We can still see the world with awe and wonder, if we want to.  

Don't you find it funny how casually we use the words 'awesome' and 'wonderful'?    For such BIG concepts?!  Even the words themselves, 'awe and wonder' are too little to convey such a powerful emotion.  Even describing it as an emotion is inadequate (sorry Webster).  And yet, that is really where it's at in life.

Consider the last time you were caught by something that grabbed your attention and captured your senses:  Maybe a beautiful mountain scene, with vibrant colors, crisp fresh air, and birds singing; a sleeping baby in your arms, soft and warm, angelic and sweet;  a glass of cold water in a moment of being parched--eyes closed, head back, cold clean heaven running down your throat, quenching your thirst.

A laugh with a friend where your belly hurts, your eyes water, and your hearts whisper 'thank you.'

Life was made to be lived intensely.  Not haphazardly, but with all cards in.   With complete abandonment.  Lately I've been focusing on mindfulness and being present completely in my moments; absorbing the sights, the sounds, the emotions, and the miracles all around us.

 And when  I do I find my heart saying 'Thank you' more and more.  And I'm suddenly warm from the inside out.


No comments: